The Drug Free Moms and Babies (DFMB) Project is a comprehensive and integrative medical and behavioral health program for pregnant and postpartum women. The project supports healthy baby outcomes by providing prevention, early intervention, addiction treatment, and recovery support services.
This project is made possible through generous support from the West Virginia Department of Health and Human Resources, Bureau for Behavioral Health, Bureau for Public Health, Office of Maternal, Child, and Family Health, and the Claude Worthington Benedum Foundation.
Drug Free Moms and Babies: A Story of Hope and Recovery
Key Project Aspects
- Screening, Brief Intervention, Referral and Treatment (SBIRT) services integrated in maternity care clinics
- Collaboration with community partners for the provision of comprehensive medical, behavioral health, and social services
- Long term follow up for two years after the birth of the baby provided by a recovery coach. In addition, home visits and other services to help women maintain sobriety and access needed resources are provided.
- Program evaluation of effective strategies for identifying women in need, preventing addiction and abuse, treating women with substance abuse problems, and delivering recovery coaching services.
- Provider outreach education to other maternity care clinics in West Virginia to facilitate the duplication of successful model programs.
In 2012, the West Virginia Perinatal Partnership awarded funding to four pilot project sites:
- Shenandoah Valley Medical Systems, Inc.
- Martinsburg, WV
- Thomas Memorial Hospital
- South Charleston, WV
- Program Name: Pregnancy Connections
- Greenbrier Valley Medical Center
- Lewisburg, WV
- Program Name: Drug Free Mother/Baby Program
- West Virginia University Obstetrics and Gynecology Department
- Morgantown, WV
- Program Name: ACE Project
Since 2018, the Drug Free Moms and Babies Program expanded to eleven additional facilities:
- CAMC Women and Children’s Hospital
- Charleston, WV
- Program Name: Baby First
- Valley Health Systems, Inc.
- Huntington, WV
- Program Name: MAT Maternal Care Program
- Marshall Health
- Huntington, WV
- Program Name: River Valley CARES Family Navigators
- Tug River Health Association, Inc.
- Gary, WV
- Program Name: Drug Free Mother and Baby Program
- Women’s HealthCare of Davis Medical Center
- Elkins, WV
- Program Name: Substance Use In Pregnancy: Treatment for Two
- Wheeling Hospital
- Wheeling, WV
- Program Name: Perinatal Transition Program
- Weirton Medical Center
- Weirton, WV
- Program Name: The Perinatal Recovery Program
- Camden Clark Medical Center
- Parkersburg, WV
- St. Joseph’s Hospital
- Buckhannon, WV
- FMRS Health Systems, Inc./AccessHealth Associates in OBGYN
- Beckley, WV
- Princeton Community Hospital (Brandon Lingenfelter, DO) / Southern Highlands CMHC
- Princeton, WV
You can find out more about the Drug Free Moms and Babies Project by reading our manual: DFMB Manual